Chantry Flat was officially designated a picnic area in 1958. Prior to that, the area above the parking lots was a public campground built by the Civilian Conservation Corps. Renovation and expansion of the picnic facilities started in late 2004. The project was delayed by road washouts following the 2005 rain storms. It was was finished at the end of August, 2006 and designated a Recreation Area. This means parked vehicles must display an Adventure Pass (available at the pack station).
The new “Picnic Grove”, as it’s known to locals, has 35 sites – all handicap accessible. Each has a new concrete picnic table and spacious charcoal BBQ’s. Water spigots are installed throughout for cooking and clean-up. The concrete pads and walkways, poured with a tan coloring added, were cleverly stamped with wild animal footprints. Every effort was made to retain existing, historic rock walls. The flush toilet facilities were left intact and a double pit toilet was added at the Gabrielino Trail head.
The gate to Chantry Flat is open 6am to 10pm. Picnic sites are first come-first serve only. Water at Chantry Flat is treated and potable. A fire permit is not required for the BBQ’s. No camping is allowed in the picnic area.